Thursday, June 10, 2004

The hardest day of the year

Today was graduation day. I had the pleasure of helping pass out diplomas to 925 members of America's future while thousands of their loved ones watched from the stands. What joy.

However, as I sat on the stage and listened to our guest speaker go on about what awaits these young adults my mind began to wander. I have invested in some of these people for the last three years. They are leaving. Leaving me behind. Suddenly a very real sense of loss came over me. By the way, this happens to me every year at this time. As much as these kids drive me nuts, I love them. Seeing them looking great in their graduation regalia only reinforced this fact. I will miss them. Kids like Bobby won't be coming to my class everyday at 6:30 a.m. to talk about things of major and minor significance. Greg won't be around to give me handshakes that crush every bone in my hand. Ryan will no longer walk down my hall yelling my name on his way to his sixth period class and kids like Angela will be telling her boy problems to somebody else now.

What is wrong with me?

I'm a teacher.

Its terminal.

The only things that I pour more of myself into are my relationship with God and my family. I guess graduation confirms what I've always known. They enter my life on the way to the rest of theirs. I hope my colleagues and I have done well by them.

Joy and loss. How is it that a day of such celebration can cause sadness? It is the bitter sweet nature of events like this that make life all the more worthwhile. If you know someone who is graduating, hug them and tell them that they can do great things. They just might.

Peace and good health to all.

3 Comments:

At 6/13/2004, Blogger KMJ said...

Hi Michael, it's great to read your blog. I really related to the bittersweet feelings of seeing someone succeed but feeling personal loss at the same time.

 
At 6/13/2004, Blogger FunKiller said...

Karen,

Thanks. It is so nice to know that someone has actually read my blog. I enjoy reading yours. Peace.

 
At 6/15/2004, Blogger scooter said...

Mike,
Praise God that there is now this medium for your fine words to be published, although they should be more widespread (although, what is more widespread than the 'net?) This particular piece should be included with Jack Schlatter's "I Am a Teacher" on the wall of every teacher's lounge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home