Sunday, June 13, 2004

Of bicycle rides and fatherhood

I have two boys. Today, my oldest son and I went on a bike ride. Nothing noteworthy. Or was it? You see, my oldest is six years old and it wasn't until about three weeks ago that he actually would go out on a ride with me. For over a year I tried to get him to ride that darn bike, but he wouldn't. It could have something to do with the fact that I had removed the training wheels without him knowing. Once he saw it, he was on to me.

For over a year he would not get on that bike. I would encourage him. Do the dad thing and say "Don't worry, I'll hold on until you get your balnce." Well it only takes a few nose dives on the concrete to realize that dad was only telling half the truth. Anyway, back to the story. About three weeks ago he finally agreed to let me teach him to ride without the training wheels. You know what? He did it. In a blink of an eye, he got it. Once I let go of the seat, he kept pedalling. He took to it like a fish to water, like a cop to a donut, or any other analogy you can think of. As I stared at this marvel, my son, riding a bike by himself, it struck me. This event is a metaphor for the rest of his life. He has discovered what freedom is and the more distance he puts between me and him, the freer he feels. Crap.

After this epiphany I tried to convince him that he really wasn't ready for this particular stage of his life. He didn't buy it when I told him that training wheels were actually as sign of maturity and sophistication. Alas, the bike riding genie had been released from the bottle.

My whole point, if I do actually have one, is that I don't think I'm ready for my kids to get older. After the brief elation I felt of teaching my son to ride a bike it was followed by the dread of knowing he was becomming a little bit more independant. What is next, having the sex talk with him? Shaving? Driving? Girls? Oh God help me!

In three short weeks my son's life has literally taken him in new directions. Our rides get longer each day. He wants to see more, do more. He is growing as a person right in front of me. Am I up to this? I still haven't been able to figure out all the things that are wrong with me. How can I possibly hope to raise two boys into good men?

That is why I am on my knees in front of their beds every night. Praying for them and myself.

Nothing thrills me more than being a parent. Few things worry me as much either. What a ride.

Peace and good health to all.

2 Comments:

At 6/14/2004, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Michael, our boys were apparently cast from the same mold. We've been having a heck of a time convincing our son to ride a bike as well. He's almost there, but after reading your post, perhaps we will delay further practice sessions for several more years.

I'm enjoying your blog tremendously. Keep writing.

 
At 6/15/2004, Blogger scooter said...

Mike, I love your writing. Your words about your boys (and your students in the previous post) come straight from the heart. God has given you quite a gift of communication. I'm really loving your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home