Sunday, July 31, 2005

Confessions of a Harry Potter Virgin

I admit it, I have never even so much as picked up a Harry Potter book to look at.

I just don't see the big deal.

My resistance to Harry Potter is not part of the Christian anti-Potter mentality that rejects the books because it involves magic. What a load of crap. The Lord of the Rings is a pseudo-Christian allegory that involves the use of magic. The Chronicles of Narnia is based in a 'magical' other world reality. No, my curiosity in Harry Potter is that many people seem to be willing to give up their precious reading time to books of this nature when there are so many other books out there that need to be read.

I mean there are books out there that are a whole lot more important to understanding the world around us and they don't create the kind of freakish fervor I've seen in the last few weeks. It is bizarre.

I read a lot. Mostly books other people don't seem to read. I'm alright with that. But this Harry Potter thing is off the scale. I've heard of Harry Potter tail gate parties in front of book stores at midnight the day it became available. I heard over the radio that one guy that was interviewed had his name leagally changed to Harry Potter to commemorate the release of the new book. By the way, the guy was 32.

I just don't get it. I mean nobody stood in line when the 9/11 commission report was released in book form. I've read it, I think it is more important than Harry Potter for our world. But it did not generate buzz among the masses. The news media didn't cover the release of Surviving the Sword, Resource Wars, or Collapse. I was crestfallen.

I just don't get it. Or at least I didn't get it until I left the house today. Some of my best learning opportunities happen when I leave my own little self created world and step outside.

I went to the grocery store , did my shopping and then stood in line for check out. For some reason even Vons is selling copies of the newest Harry Potter. A kid, I'm guessing around 10, was pestering his parental unit to buy it for him. The parent resisted the pressure and said no. I was thinking "Good for you for not caving in to the pop cultural pressure of assimilating your kid into this series of books that are over hyped."

But then I thought, wait a minute, this kid is actually asking for a book. In my profession it is a minor work of divine intervention to even get a student to read their homework, much less a whole book, a thick book at that, with no pictures.

Quick, as fast as the Italians switched sides in World War II, I found myself silently cheering for this kid all of a sudden.

He entreated his mother again, "Please, I'll put back the Doritos and Diet Coke". Again, his stalwart mother gave him a firm "No". I almost found myself intervening on behalf of the child. "Aw, come on mom, it's a book he's asking for. Don't you understand the paradigmatic shift his request symbolizes." But I resisted.

As the line moved forward, our underdog gave it one last shot. "Look mom, if you by me the book I won't ask you to take me to see the next movie". Hmm...he's probably lying, but the very fact that he is going to these lengths to get a book and probably, actually, for real, read the darn thing was impressive. By this time I think the mother sensed I was eavesdropping. She looked at me with a smile so barely detectable only another parent could discern its presence. I looked at her and returned the same grin. She then told the boy "Go ahead and get it. But stop bothering me about it. Put the Doritos back like you said, but you can keep the Diet Coke." They checked out and left. I felt nearly jubilant.

Yeah, I think Harry Potter is over hyped. The people who stay up for 48 hours straight to read it the moment they get it are probably weird. But you know, if it can generate the kind of enthusiasm that this kid in the grocery store had, then so be it.

I still won't read a single one of them though.

Be well all.

5 Comments:

At 8/01/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I am glad that is taken care, I was worreid some of the lesser known books where feeling left out... I mean I won't read a darn book you just mentioned here either... so I guess we are square... but at least you mentioned them... I am glad that HP has helped you voice your opion abou OTHER more IMPORTANT books... See HP is good for you too...

 
At 8/01/2005, Blogger ironsulfide said...

3 words: buh hook snob!

love you like a brutha from a different mutha! peas oot!

 
At 8/01/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

I admit it. I'm one of those fiction trollops...an escapism doxy...a scarlet reader... HP was my D.O.C.* in July and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :)


*drug of choice.

 
At 8/03/2005, Blogger scooter said...

Gotta side with mrsfish here (not that we're taking sides, though). I read them for the pure joy of it - there are few books where I actually laugh out loud and gasp in fear through the mere reading. They *are* very well-written - quite honestly, some of the best, most enjoyable fiction I've ever read (and this is speaking as a massive Twain fan).

Also, I have found an interesting comfort in the wisdom in the books. Now, no one would say Rowling is writing from a Christian perspective, but she *is* certainly writing from a moral perspective, one that I believe is informed by at the very least a Judeo-Christian worldview, one that says there *is* absolute rights and wrongs in the universe. I'll never forget an article I read in Newsweek about, I guess it would be book three or four, which came out around the time of 9/11. It was the novel where the evil Lord Voldemort (the big bad of the series) finally made his return, to the despair of the wizarding community. Towards the end of the story, one character laments to an adult, "What are we going to do?" His response was something that honestly comforted me in those dark months after September 11: he told her, "We'll do what we always have done: we'll keep on living, and not live in fear." (Or something like that).

So, there you go. Speaking of your story about the boy in the line at the store, I had a group of 7th grade delinquents a few years ago (good grief, they're seniors this year!) who, when they weren't burning things up, were locked solidly in detention at school. Do you know these boys couldn't get enough of the Harry Potter books? And, when they all finished the ones available at the time, each of them (there were three of them I can think of), they all read the entire Lord of the Rings series as well.

Mighty impressive. You were right to say something about divine intervention to get kids to read, especially boys.


By the way, I read Em and Nikki the first two chapters of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" in Colorado... once they get here, the Narnia books will be their bedtime stories for quite a while...

 
At 8/08/2005, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Scott,

Andy is most of the way through The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with my kids, taking the books in order, and they are absolutely enthralled! Bedtime stories, breakfast table stories, mid-afternoon break stories...

"Pleeeease, Daddy, can we read another chapter?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home