Friday, June 18, 2004

Dinner, wine and conversation

You ever just stop for a minute and dwell? I mean really just stop everything and focus your entire being on your blessings?

Tonight my wife and I went out to dinner for the first time in I don't know how long. The atmosphere was great, the wine was great, though a little pricey (translated 'spendy' for those in the NW). The service was good and the food was outstanding. But it was the company that made my head spin.

Here I was sitting across the table talking to this beautiful, intelligent woman. We were discussing why we are both considering switching political parties. And then it hits me. WOW! I get to be with her.

You have to understand that my wife is a talented artist, gifted educator, wonderful mother and one of the most Godly people I know. And yet after 12 years of marriage and all my crap that she puts up with we can still have a discussion like this in an over priced Italian restaurant and there is no other place I would rather be. And even more amazing, she still seems to enjoy my company as well.

I was hanging on her every word. The light from the candles played hypnotic in her big brown eyes and I was spellbound (yes I'm aware of the cliche, but I don't care, I'm in love). If you are still reading, here is my point. Love is a blessing from God. Our ability to love and recieve love is possible first because He loved us. And for people like myself who took years to get passed my own emotional constipation to see God's love it is especially sweet. Sweeter still because I can see that affection reflected in how my wife speaks to me and how I hear her or the way we look at each other. She is one of the greatest expressions of God's grace in my life and I'm thankful.

Life throws things at you that can really test the strength of your character and your relationships. Friends, stop everything once and a while and just meditate on His goodness, look into the eyes of your significant other and listen to what He is saying. Peace.

4 Comments:

At 6/19/2004, Blogger scooter said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful. If every man could love his wife one tenth this much, it'd be a much happier (and saner) world. I'm so blessed to have seen this relationship from its very beginning. Good on ya, Maranos.

 
At 6/19/2004, Blogger KMJ said...

Thank you for sharing this. It helped set my perspective on God and His gifts for the whole day. :)

 
At 6/20/2004, Blogger Tenax said...

M,

well, what can I say man. This is the kind of thing I need to hear, the kind of thing I aspire towards. Every time I get a glimpse of something like this it's modeling for me, a piece of reality I crave to know as frequently as I can.

t

 
At 6/20/2004, Blogger Tenax said...

M,

well, what can I say man. This is the kind of thing I need to hear, the kind of thing I aspire towards. Every time I get a glimpse of something like this it's modeling for me, a piece of reality I crave to know as frequently as I can.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home