Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Taking Refuge in Hanford

Ah, Hanford.  That sleepy little town on the way to Fresno that everybody seems to know. 

That bustling little farm town home to the only WalMart in all of Kings County.

Hanford.  The only place of human habitation that has only one Starbucks.

Whilst the fumigation professionals take care of our little termite problem, we are visiting our family up here in the San Joaquin Valley.  Life is different here.  Not better, nor worse.  The pace is slower and from time to time I need that.  I need the family I have up here.  They are normal.  Something I wasn't used to growing up. 

We went fishin' today in the Kings River. 

Sat smack dab in the middle of a river and fished. 

Can you imagine anyplace down in L.A. where this is possible?  Or safe?  Me, my father-in-law and my oldest boy just dropped our lines in the water and waited for a bite.  There were frogs, polly-wogs, beautiful dragonflies, bass, catfish, carp and easily a half dozen different kinds of birds flying overhead.  We could hear huge bull frogs from a distance.  We let the wind and the subtle current take us down the river and try different locations.  Sadly, we didn't catch a thing.  But I guess it really didn't matter.

I hope all of you are letting the subtle little currents in life take to you to new places, meeting new people and embracing those you've loved forever.

I won't be blogging much until we get back.  Peace to all.


2 Comments:

At 7/28/2004, Blogger KMJ said...

1) Enjoy your R & R time to the fullest

2) I didn't think it was possible to only have one Starbucks. What's on the other three corners? What will you do if the line inside is too long to wait?

- kmj -

 
At 8/02/2004, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

Hmm... Sad to think that there is "crap" in the river too... but everything else seemed great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home