Sunday, January 16, 2005

Attack of the Killer Mold

As my recent post mentioned, we have receieved a lot of rain lately. Well, I was going about my housely duties of cleaning up in our bedrom this morning when I came upon a surprise. I decided to move the chest of drawers to retrieve an article of clothing on the floor. What greeted me made me ill.

Mold. Well it was probably more like mildew because I think mold is usually accompanied by some sort of fuzzy texture. Alas, there was no fuzz.

Anyway, I swear we really are clean people. But I guess with the recent deluge some amount of mositure got into that corner and took root. The chest of drawers is about 41/2 feet high and 3 feet wide and the mildew filled the entire area of the wall behind it. As if that were not enough, my curiosity got the better of me and then I moved our bed out from the wall only to discover an even bigger swath of the greenish-brownish menace. I stood for several minutes just gazing in fascination at this marvel. I looked at it so long, I think I began to notice shapes in the surface. Kind of like cloud watching. The more I looked at it, the more things I saw. At one point I think I spotted the Virgin Mary, or was it Elvis?

Anyway, I spent the next hour cleaning every wall in the room. Thank goodness for hot water and Chlorox bleach. Luckily there is no rain in the forecast any time soon. In fact it was 73 degrees today. Five degrees above normal. So much for ending our drought.

Hope all are well. Peace.

Really, I swear, we are clean people.

2 Comments:

At 1/17/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

Yikes! I hate mold / mildew, etc. Living in an old house with single pane windows, we get moisture / condensation on the windows all the time. And if the moisture sits, the mold begins. Yuck!!! I think we need a dehumidifier (and bleach is helpful too!)...

 
At 1/17/2005, Blogger scooter said...

...'course, there're LOTS of nice, fine, new or nearly new houses in the $200,000 range right around here, and not a one with mold...although KMJ is right, it can be a killer problem (literally) in this part of the country.


Also, this could very well be a sign from the Lord telling you to leave that flooded, forsaken place and come live among the trees...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home