Thursday, August 04, 2005

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Last night my oldest boy and I attended his first ever professional baseball game. Angels vs. Orioles. It was free visor night.

Some of you may know that I absolutely abhor professional sports. But this is my kid we're talking about. I'm a dad, this is what you do.

My son recently joined the local pack of Cub Scouts. After pleading with us for some time, we have finally relented. Anyhizzle, this baseball game was the most recent summer outing with his pack. I had worked all day and was tired, hot and generally cranky. My son had been at Cub Scout camp all day and was therefore very jazzed about the whole endeavor. No chance of talking him out of it.

It took us over an hour and a half to get to the flingin' flangin' stadium due to the 'freeway' traffic. Parking was a crime. Once we parked we made our way to the entrance, it took so long from where we parked I began to commisserate with the Israelites. Walking to our seats was another adventure in and of itself. The crowd, the sweat, the smell of deep fried something. Our seats were so high up that I bumped my head on the space shuttle as it made its way over Anaheim. We made it to our seats, settled in and made small talk with some of the people we knew in the pack.

Then, the Star Spangled Banner.

I admit, I still get choked up toward the end of that little ditty. I thought about all of the imperfections of our great nation and how so many have fought and continue to fight to preserve our right to work toward a more perfect union. It is humbling. I explained to my son what the song was about and why we stand when it is played. Cool.

As the game went on, the various and marauding vendors made their rounds. Ice cream sandwich, $4.25. Bottle of Gatorade, $5.00. Hot dog,$3.75. Peanuts, $5.00. I could not believe it. Of course , this being my son's first baseball game we got the required hot dog, peanuts and soda. He had already eaten everything by the time I paid the vendor. Incredibly, he was still hungry and we had eaten dinner before we left for the game!

I taught him how to read the scoreboard. Explained what a full count was and what stealing bases really meant. It took a little while for me to tell him about batting averages, grandslam home runs, foul balls and ERAs. By the end of the 5th inning he had learned that you boo when the oppossing team's best hitter is at bat. He wasn't quite sure what to do during the seventh inning stretch but he caught on to the words of 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game' quickly enough.

By the bottom of the eigth inning, the house lights were blazing, the temperature had cooled and I was more comfortable and able to enjoy the whole experience.

This was my boy's first ever real baseball game.

I looked at him and he felt my gaze and turned to me and smiled as he asked for yet another Red Vine. My boy. I'm supposed to teach him stuff about being a boy and eventually how to be the right kind of man. No pressure. He has recently turned eight and so much about him is changing. He has asked that he be allowed to let his hair grow out, which we agreed to. It is too long for my tastes, but as a parent you pick your battles. He has started skateboarding, he no longer exclusively asks to see animated movies and he just seems bigger somehow. I don't want to lose that little boy, but know I have to and look forward to relating to him on deeper things as he matures. Still, it is bitter sweet.

As the game came to a conclusion(Angels won 8 to 4), we began to exit. We stopped at the top of the stadium before heading down and looked across the parking lot and noticed all the parked cars bathed in the artificial light of the parking lot at 10:45 p.m. My son stopped and said "Hey dad, when you look at all those cars from up here doesn't it look like an army of sleeping beetles?" Yeah, I guess so. Only through the eyes of a eight year old boy. We made our way down to our car. We talked about the game the entire way down.

We talked for a few more minutes once we were in the car, talking about our favorite part of the game. He fell asleep before we got on the freeway. When we got home, I roused him form his slumber and guided him to the his room and got him dressed and put to bed. I kissed him on the cheek and whispered in his ear as I do every night " Good night Little Prince." I then turned to the crib where the baby lay sleeping and kissed him as well.

I'm a dad. This is what you do.

Blessings and peace to all.

7 Comments:

At 8/05/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

This is one of the best posts I've read in weeks! Amazing boy, cool dad, loving family. ;)

 
At 8/05/2005, Blogger scooter said...

This is a truly beautiful story, one that needs to be published in a national setting. I am moved to tears by the pure, unadulterated simplicity of it - a man and his son, enjoying a time-honored tradition together. How truly beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. God bless you and your boys.

 
At 8/05/2005, Blogger scooter said...

...y'know, considering current LA "freeway" speeds, it'd probably take you just as long as it took you to get to Anaheim as it would to drive or take the train to Seattle to see the Mariners play in the insane magnificence that is Safeco Field (when the dome's open you're looking right at the Seattle skyline, Space Needle and all, like the logo for "Frasier," with the Puget Sound in the background)...uh, that is, if you were living in, say, Vancouver...

 
At 8/06/2005, Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Very nice...glad I stopped by.
Teachers rock!

 
At 8/06/2005, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Thanks, Michael. This was great reading. You're a good dad and youre boys are truly blessed to have you. Reading your parenting posts never ceases to inspire me in my own quest to be a decent parent--perhaps even an above average one.

 
At 8/08/2005, Blogger ironsulfide said...

loved the post. it got hard to read and the end because i "got something in my eyes". i'm fine now. thanks for asking.

 
At 8/09/2005, Blogger Tenax said...

M,

I had to catch up with your blog, so I'm posting to the last three here:

on HP: we read the first three with Mikey when he was little and he enjoyed them; I started the fourth with him and we all lost contact with it and I haven't finished it. I probably should. I will say that those books have gotten lots of kids to read when they wouldn't have before. My current serial addiction, of course, is the Aubrey/Maturin series.

And KMJ, escapism doxy, fiction trollop, English-girl excellent.

I haven't read the three books you mention, Mike, but they look intelligent. Not enough is said about an educated, informed electorate. Not enough is said because those people are in the minority, especially thos who are not self-seeking and already in power. And Fox news may provide the conservative viewpoint, but why does it do so in such a low-grade hysterical, polemic manner? I could say more about that channel, but I won't. Well one more thing: the 'no spin' zone is really a little truth mixed with subtle uni-directional spin that plays on emotion to make its star look good (who just last night said in an interview about Peter Jennings, 'I was different, and he liked that, so I liked him').

NPR is about the only non-print media outlet that actually tries to think about issues, even if it is biased.

So yeah, the 43rd reich is alive and well, fueled by fear.

But boy, does all this sound out of place following your wonderful baseball post.

This is truly beautiful Mike. Dad stuff. Yes. Those are the greatest moments in life perhaps, when one truly feels like a parent. Thanks for sharing this.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home