Sunday, September 25, 2005

Did It For The Wrong Reason

My kids only get toys on their birthday and Christmas.

Occassionally, Grandama will show up bearing gifts. But lets be honest, there is no stopping a force of nature like a grandmother.

Tonight, I took the boys to Target to buy a few things we needed for the week. It has been a long weekend filled with soccer practice, soccer games, tantrums, Boy Scout events and fundraisers. My wife had spent half the day with my oldest helping to supervise the Boy Scout annual pizza fundraiser. I could tell she needed a break and her fibro was bad. We both needed a break.

So wanting to be Superman, savior of the day and an overall good guy I scooped the kids up and off we went. I got a bit frustrated and confused in the hair care aisle trying to juggle coupons and searching for a certain styling gel. As a bald man, this concept is completely lost on me. My youngest was knocking things off the shelf saying "uh oh" while my oldest was continuing a sentence that he started on thursday about the virtues of Pokemon . As I bent down to pick up the items the baby had knocked down I almost passed out from the aroma radiating from his posterior. I swear his diaper looked swollen to four times its normal size. I looked up at him and he smiled as he said "hi there". Soon panic set in. You guessed right. I left the diaper bag at home.

Off I went streaming through the store and the rest of my list. I needed to get out of there before somebody picked up the scent and reported me to the Depratment of Homeland Security for hiding a chemical weapon in my sons pants. My oldest boy was struggling to keep up, never skipping a beat in his description of his latest Pokemon battle. All the while I was searching for an Air Wick scented oil refill, deodorant and diaper wipes. The baby meanwhile was not quite aware of his predicament and was saying "hi" to every cute girl that walked by. As soon as they paused to smile at him the lovely baby essence would strike their nostrils and I got the stink eye for being a bad daddy. Such is the plight of the uber domesticated man.

Anyhizzle, by this time I'm sweating and I still can't find the toothpaste that was on sale that I have a double coupon for. No bother, I'll get it next time because by this time it was 7:30 and I've still got to get the kids home, bathed and showered, have our bible time and get them in bed by 8 p.m. I manage to slow to a jog and put a little more interest into the conversation that my oldest boy has been basically having with himself for the last twenty minutes. We happen to swing by the toy section out of pure coincidence and he asked if he could see if they had the new Bionicle series. He loves to build things, it is just the way his mind works. I love that about him. We found the right aisle and they had one last version of the thing he had been looking for for some time. He stared at it longingly. To his credit, he never asked for a thing. He knows the rule.

Something inside me said "Come on, just buy it for him".

I wanted to buy it for him because I wanted to do something nice for him that I knew he would like. I wanted to do it because I felt bad we had not spent a lot of time together this weekend, because his mom was sick with pain, because I rushed him around the store on a school night. I wanted to make it all up to him and I saw the toy as a way to accomplish that.

Visions of the episode of the Brady Bunch where Mike and Carol are on the verge of buying Bobby the coolest bike in the world to "win him over for life". They pause as they think about their motives. The Bradies were wiser than me for they resisted the guilt purchase.

I did it for the wrong reasons. Guilt. Self-loathing. Pick your descriptor.

I promised myself that I would never be that kind of parent. I have failed miserably.

Peace to all.

8 Comments:

At 9/26/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

If that truly is a 'failure' then you have only failed momentarily. :) There's a huge difference between a lapse in resolve and a lifetime of "Cats in the Cradle" fathering. But what a great story, and I can JUST imagine him rattling on about every nuance and detail of Pokemon. LOVE that kid. :)

 
At 9/26/2005, Blogger ironsulfide said...

FK's fathering skills = excellent
Pokemon = enjoyable
Anyhizzle = Not cool at all!

FK, if you have failed at all it is because you have failed to realize that any and all Snoop Dog lingo is unbecoming of a man of your stature, talent and intelligence. If you are hoping that any “coolness” or “soulness” comes to you by the usage of such words you are wrong, my friend. The mere act of passing these words across your lips only proves two things: you (and me for that matter) aren't as young as you wish and you aren’t hip anymore. Please stop before you damage your reputation as a pimp-mac-daddy even further.

Keep it reahizzelnit all you be-auch’s ‘n’ hos!

It’s a hard knock life to be a thug!

Peace out!

 
At 9/26/2005, Blogger Tenax said...

Bro,

you didn't fail. Your motives were complex and many were non-self serving. How can loving that much be wrong?

t

 
At 9/26/2005, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Your badge is entirely entact (ala my recent post). The fact that he didn't ask changes the whole scene. If he had asked, and you had conceded in a moment of weakness, then you would have something to feel bad about--at least for an hour or so--but HE DIDN'T ASK. You didn't give in. A nice surprise for a nice kid from his nice dad. No harm, no foul.

Oh, and having now been the subject of one of D's rambling monologues, I'm cracking up all the more. That boy could be used to fillibuster in Congress!

 
At 9/27/2005, Blogger FunKiller said...

Dear blog tribe,

Thank you for the encouraging words and supportive statements. It means all the more coming from a group of people whose opinions I have come to trust. Peace to all.

 
At 9/28/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really disapointed... with all your intelegence (and I am not being trite with that comment) to miss a simple fundamental... it is OK to buy things for people you love just becuase you love them!! Seriously, I hope you are still not making year one mistakes with your wife by missing every oportunity to shower her with love and devotion (such as an occasional gift BOUGHT just becasue)... Same with the kids... I love to buy flowers for the wife ANYTIME, becuase she needs it... she works hard and it is a DIFFERENT way to show the love and devotion I have for her. Same with the kids... Can you believe it that when we are having a good time and I want to show them what a great time we are having I on OCCASION will actually BUY THEM FOOD at McD's!! I know the shame... to buy a fun filled time of play and food with dad at a fast food joint!! What?! you don't see the connection?!? Well, here it is... It is fun to take the boys (mine) out shoping once in a while and buy a little something just becuase they are the coolest thing on the planet that God has given me. And although spending time with dad is cool and great and fun, so is bestowing gifts upon (ON OCCASION) just because. You can call it what you want, but seriously lighten up. You probably have great kids (although the whole throwing things to the floor would NOT happen with my kids at Target) and I know from the HONESTY that flows from you, you are a worthy parent doing more then he can and all that God is calling him to be with his children. Enjoy them... Enjoy watching your son BUILD with that tallent God has given, enjoy watching him put his imagination to work...

OK if all else fails... you have one more thing to take away from him to punish him...

 
At 10/06/2005, Blogger ironsulfide said...

"Did it for the wrong reason" actually sounds more like a name you'd give a racehorse.

 
At 10/11/2005, Blogger Tawn said...

as before mrs. fish said it well. have you read the 5 love languages? one is gift giving/receiving. it diesn't have to be a lavish thing, or even bought, but it can be. and it is a valid was to show love and appreciation, especially when it's not abused and used inappropriately! good job dad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home