Friday, October 07, 2005

To Not Be Israel

I don't know about you, but I'm messed up.

More so in some areas of life, but in general, messed up.

This got me to thinking about Israel. Stay with me here people.

You see I've been reading through the Old Testament for the past year or so and I found my kindred. Many people who read this poor excuse for a blog know their Bible better than I, so I won't bother you with details. But suffice to say, Israel was given everything and still they screwed things up for themselves.

God: "I've brought you out of the bondage of Egypt, I am the lord your God"

Israel: "It's too hot here, the food sucks and the accomodations could be better"

Talk about your whiners.

God: "I've given you a land flowing with milk and honey, filled with cities you did not build with your own hands. Trust in me, I have great plans for you."

Israel:"We want a king to rule over us, just like everyone else."

You get the point. God was content to use this group of people as his 'chosen' people to show the world how to live. I mean, these people saw water parted, walked through on dry ground, bread fell from the sky and quail appeared out of nowhere, water from a rock even. And still they behaved just as badly as I do. They would disavow sin one day and fall back into it the next. Once chastised by God for a collective offense, they would committ to following only Him. Yet soon thereafter they would be worshipping Ashtoreth or building an alter to Baal. They were given everything and it still was not enough.

Sounds like somebody I know. Yeah, you guessed it. . .me. It just seems that the harder I try not to whine, complain, be unhappy or discontent, the harder it gets to do so. I too, have been given everything. Yet I find myself following Israel's path. It turns out that Israel is the perfect example of all humanity. We are never content, always wanting more and frequently dissastisfied with what is right in front of us. Maybe that is also something God wants us to see. His 'chosen' people are really like all people and everyone therefore is in need of his discipline, grace and love. I'm no great theologian, but some things seem more obvious than others.


Peace to all.

3 Comments:

At 10/08/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

I so relate, and it hits me deeply. I think I'll post a bit more about this on my blog - so as not to take up all your comment space.

 
At 10/08/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well (as a theologian) you hit the nail on the head... and as far as your comments about self... dido

 
At 10/11/2005, Blogger Tawn said...

beautifully said. i don't know if you have veggie tales, but one character laments in (I think) Josh & the Big Wall how they should go back to Egypt - and another replies rather strongly WE WERE IN SLAVERY! (this is the same one when one asks "how are we clapping?" another replies "i have no idea" - unrelated but funny!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home