Saturday, November 05, 2005

Taking Me Back



Do you remember the Three Investigators?

When I was eight years old I delighted in the adventures of Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews. I thought these guys were so cool because they were smart and adults were always blown away by their intelligence and courage, especially Jupe.

Anyway, I recently bought a copy of one of my favorites in the hopes of getting my oldest boy to read it with me. When I recieved the book a couple of days ago he did not seem very interested, even after I enthusiastically described the premise of the series.

Well, he has had a bad week. Behaviorally, he is having a difficult time adjusting to his two best friends being relocated to a new school. This has translated into issues in the classroom and at home. And to make it worse, his soccer team got destroyed in their game this morning.

On Friday and Saturday nights we let him stay up an extra half hour passed his bedtime to read in our room. As a 'treat'. He gets to spread out on the big bed and prop himself up with all the pillows his mother swears are accent pieces and cuddle under the warmth of our down comforter. Well, tonight he mentioned it is too bad that he had to read alone. Talk about your signals. I immediately asked him if he would like it if I read with him and he said yes. When I asked him what he wanted to read he said, "How about the Three Investigators?". Yes!!

As I opened the book I mentioned to him that it was actually written a year before I was born, to which he said, "So this is an old book, huh?". Smile creeping across his face. We laid down on the bed, scrunched up some pillows and plowed through the first six chapters. When I stopped he asked for one more chapter. How can you say no?

When we were done I asked him to wash up, brush his teeth and hop into bed. A few minutes later I walked out of the kitchen to be greeted by him. He asked if I would tuck him in, something that he has not asked for in a while. We climbed into his bed and cuddled under his blankets.

He asked, "Dad, is El Diablo a real person in history?"

"No son, it is just a story in a book."

"Well, it's an interesting book, very suspenseful."

He grabbed my arms and drew himself closer to me. A few minutes later I felt the slow release of his grip as he drifted off to sleep. I lay there for a while, in my own state of half sleep, listening to the symphony of sounds of my boys sleeping, wondering how much better it could possibly get and promising myself to remember this moment during the week when things get crazy and the kids are driving me nuts. This is the sweetness of life.

Be well friends.

4 Comments:

At 11/06/2005, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

those moments are the ones... wow... thank you for sharing that touching moment... they need to remembered as things change...

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

I have to tell you that after reading that last night I "heard" my children still awake upstairs... So I went up stiars and just hung out wiht them for a while... They are only little boys for so long... thanks again..

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger FunKiller said...

Cool. We're both very fortunate to have the lives we do. Peace, brother.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger Tenax said...

No doubt, these are the sweet moments of life. Books and love.

Beautiful pictures of your kids and wife! Your littlest one, oh man, heartcrushing cute.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home