Friday, December 09, 2005

What Guys Talk About

I don't think I'm breaking any code of silence here with this post.

I normally don't hang out with guys because:

a. I don't have time to hang out with anybody
b. Most of the guys I want to communicate with I already do through blog
c. once guys start talking sports I might as well be gay because I have no idea what they are
talking about nor do I care. Unlike a gay guy I don't even care about the tight fitting
uniforms the players wear.

Anyway, tonight I was invited by a guy from my church over to his house with some other guys from our bible study to just hang out. I knew all the guys there so it wasn't a big deal. It sounded like fun. Once everyone got there and got settled in people started talking.


You know what guys talk about?

Yeah, a little sports talk, but in general these guys at least talked about:

Their wives. In positive, generous terms.

Their kids. How they wish they didn't work so much and what a hard time their wife was having getting their newborn to nurse or what to do about their boy running through the house naked all the time.

Their jobs. How they hate it and how it takes time away from the things they really care about. Or if they love thier jobs, how rewarding to feel productive and valued (maybe not in those exact terms).

The upcoming vasectomy. Enough said.

How their ailing parent was doing or the most recent tribulation involving a troubled sibling.

Their finances. How to save more and get the most out of their retirement plans.

The anxiety of trying to decide when to buy a home.

Music.

Home improvement projects.


I was pleasantly surprised at how the night went. It seems men are three dimensional after all.

There were some things discussed that should be kept confidential. As it is with girl talk. Then again, any truly wise man does not want to know what girls talk about.

Peace and good health to all.

3 Comments:

At 12/10/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

Sounds like a great evening. And I think the depth you see comes from practice and well developed character. It's the same with gals. It's easy to stay shallow, but you really have to put energy into going deep. :)

 
At 12/14/2005, Blogger ironsulfide said...

uh, you're not gay?

 
At 12/15/2005, Blogger Tenax said...

Dude,

this post hits me right where I live. I feel awkward around men also, and I don't know anything about sports. It sounds like you have a good bunch of guys to spend time with. This makes me realize I need to open my eyes and my heart more and move out of isolation, my favorite drug.

Well, almost my favorite.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home