Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mob Rule

I work in a school located in the most cultural diverse city in the nation according to Newsweek magazine.

The school at which I teach is home to 4,352 students.

For the last two days at lunch there have been a number of incidents. Some might call them mini-riots. I prefer the term student unrest.

We have had 9 police squad cars and 11 sheriffs on campus each of the last two days with helicopters circling during lunch and after school as a result of the violence.

Eight students have been arrested and 11 have been expelled. Someone pulled a gun yesterday.

Worst of all, the unrest has been racially motivated.

Please pray for the students, staff and administration at my school.

Peace.

3 Comments:

At 12/01/2005, Blogger KMJ said...

You know, this is such a strong picture... It just makes me sad (and a little scared for you & MrsFK, but I suppose your 'radar' is on high-alert so I'll mellow out.) Calm will come again to your school, I am sure, but until then...peace (& protection).

 
At 12/09/2005, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

well... it sounds like the new version of Romeo and Juliet...

 
At 12/15/2005, Blogger Tenax said...

You know I went to your school for three years. I remember race 'riots' very similar to what you describe in oh, 1980 or so? And then that city was NOT the most integrated in the country. That statistic amazes me. It was white bread central with other kids bussed in.

Sad to me that 25 years later the same problems are present, especially when the city itself has become so diverse.

t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home